Location: Principal location will be at MassRobotics in the Seaport District of Boston.
Join a company and lead the Engineering team that provides the hardware, software, and certification platform that brings AI to aviation applications and enables unmanned air vehicles to be used for transportation and other missions.
Autonodyne is a well-funded young company focused on becoming the kernel for unmanned aerial flight. With a world-wide perpetual software license in place with Avidyne that covers $100M in aviation technology IP, expertise in aviation system certification, and a growing customer set, Autonodyne will develop, and if desired by the customer, certify systems and software for civil and defense aircraft that operate without a traditional pilot. While there are many companies providing products and services to the growing UAS market, we already have all of the necessary building blocks and move at higher clock speeds than the competition and are just about unique in that we are also experts in national and international certification that allows these products to be flown anywhere. Autonodyne is located in Boston, Massachusetts and is looking for a Vice President for Engineering who is passionate about the UAS/UAV/Unmanned space. This position reports to the CEO.
Autonodyne has a standard benefit package and equity will be part of the compensation package.
As Vice President for Engineering, you will recruit and run the company engineering team. You will serve as the lead system architect, lead the hardware and software development and help develop necessary algorithms as well as own the hardware and software development processes. You will be expected to both run the engineering team and perform hands-on development yourself. These systems are designed for UAS/UAV/Unmanned aviation applications ranging from small, single-person vertical takeoff and land (VTOL) aircraft to multi-passenger air vehicles of varying design to high speed military drones. The job will entail heavy development of autonomy and bringing AI to aviation applications. The emerging On-Demand Mobility class of aircraft is a focal point as well as many defense-related projects. You should also expect to interact directly with customers and assist in business development efforts.
The Autonodyne products are currently a mix of existing product sets and many that are under development or haven’t started yet and you must have experience in working with internal and remote development resources to enable them to meet the company’s product needs. You will help develop the detailed product road map and make sure all constituents understand their role in making it happen. In short, you will be at the center of making the products a reality.
- Build and lead an engineering team
- “Own” the various engineering development processes
- Lead both hardware and software development
- Serve as lead product architect
- Deliver the leading edge products within set budgets and schedules
- Create and manage the engineering team budget
- Scope and prioritize activities based on business and customer impact
- Recommend the nature and scope of present and future product lines by reviewing product specifications and requirements; appraising new product ideas and/or product or packaging changes
- Set COGS targets and design to cost
- Analyze, solicit, evaluate, contract and manage existing or potential partner/vendor relationships for the product line.
- Manage the entire product line life cycle from strategic planning to end of life/end of service
Skills and Core Competencies:
- Recognized expertise in the field of UAS/UAV/Unmanned vehicles
- Proven track record of hiring and building a team
- Proven track record of leading engineering development teams including guiding products through delivery on spec, on budget, and on schedule
- Proven ability to work smoothly and efficiently with executive management
- Solid technical background with understanding and/or hands-on experience in product development
- Algorithm development and instantiation in code
- Broad familiarity with formal development processes
- An unstoppable drive to win
- MS/BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
- 15+ years experience in the UAS/UAV/Unmanned systems, especially the avionics domain
- Relevant engineering management experience required
- This position will likely involve travel to customer and non-customer sites principally in North America (10-20%) but global travel is also possible.
- Strongly prefer domicile near the Boston site but will consider non-local domicile – relocation to Boston area part of compensation package, if necessary
- US Citizenship required
- Security clearance (active or previous) preferred
Please email your resume in MS Word, RTF, HTML, or ASCII text format to the address below. If you wish to enclose a cover letter, please include it in the body of your email message.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Autonodyne provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, genetic information, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, family care status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or with respect to any other protected class.